Sunday 13 March 2011

Shooting Snobs

Me and Snobs have a long history, a very VERY good one.  Snobs might now know it but I do :)

Snobs has been, and always will be, THE place to be in Birmingham on a Wednesday night.  Queues stretch round the block from opening time.  I remember standing in that queue when I was younger, now I'm older and get to stroll straight in.  Makes me feel like a big man :)

Shooting Snobs is tricky.  It's a small place and doesn't have a massive lighting rig with lasers and strobes and fog and all that stuff that is standard in most places.  It does, however, have an atmosphere that is unrivalled.  From my experience it has the friendliest atmosphere of anywhere in Birmingham.  People love each other when in Snobs, everyone hugs everyone and dances with everyone like it's some kind of paradise world where everything in the universe is hunky dorey!

Because of all the above, I absolutely love shooting there.  It's a real challenge but there is nothing more fun than shooting Snobs with a 50mm f/1.8 (damn, now I sound like a photo geek!).Maybe it's because that was one of my first nightclub photography experiences or maybe because the shots you can get with it really capture the mayhem of Snobs, whatever it is I know that I end up walking round Snobs with a stupid grin on my face every time I shoot there.

My latest set of photos are from a Friday night.  Snobs on a Friday is competing with the big boys of Propaganda at the O2 Academy and Supersonic Vague at Gatecrasher.  Saying that though, it still pulls in a crowd and is a guaranteed awesome night out.  I also had the pleasure of sitting back and letting a guest photographer, Sammy Cole, take some shots.  She did a mighty fine job!

Dear Snobs, do not change, I love you too much!

Get more Snobs at their official website, http://www.snobsnightclub.co.uk/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Go for it... :)