Tuesday 1 March 2011

Nothing like those hometown Streets

In all fairness, I was never a massive fan of The Streets.  I probably won't listen to them by choice either.  However, their show at the O2 Academy on Friday 25th February was one of the most electric performances I have ever seen.

This was the first time I ever believed a singer who said "you guys are the best crowd on the tour, no-one will ever beat this"!  We hear that at every gig from every band in every city.  Tonight, I actually believed it.  I have never seen or heard a crowd like it.

Mike Skinner was on top form and openly admitted that this'll be the last time he does the "old stuff".  Well, that "old stuff" went down better than anything I have seen in a LONG time.  The crowd were wild from start to finish.

My photographing started off with a pint of cider thrown in my general direction.  It's a good job Canon make cider-proof cameras!  1 and a half songs later a fight kicked off in the mosh-pit, another interesting event to photograph.  As the night wore on the crowd actually got more energetic and even louder, with choruses to the last few songs being belted out by thousands of crazy Brummies loving their hometown heroes.

I was a bit annoyed at the people who didn't know how to mosh.  I guess if you don't go to rock and metal gigs you don't know mosh-pit etiquette (keep the punches low, look-out for your fellow mosher and help people up when they go down).  A few people obviously got confused and started fights instead.  One of the funniest concert moments I have ever seen occurred when Mike stopped the second song and offered to fight the guy who, moments earlier, had decided to start his own fight.  I will never forget the look on that guy's face when he realised that the whole Academy was watching him get called out... and then watched him humbly apologise and shrink off into the crowd, tail firmly between legs and without the friends he'd been trying to impress!

When the reunion tour hits, I'm there! (But not in the mosh-pit...)







As always, higher quality photos are over at ConcertsCaptured and on our Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Go for it... :)