Sunday 6 March 2011

Birmingham's Bieber Fever!

I will not lie to you. I am not a fan of Justin Bieber.  That's not to say I didn't enjoy photographing his show in Birmingham at the NIA on Saturday 5th March 2011 though.

In fact, it was one of the most enjoyable shoots I've ever done.  Justin is arguably the biggest pop star and one of, if not the, biggest celebrity in the world right now. The fact that I got to go photograph him, stand at the foot of the stage and watch him do his thing was, honestly, quite awe-inspiring.  Then, when you turn around and see 13000 people losing it, and I mean losing it, that's pretty awesome.  The fans were CRAZY, screaming, jumping, crying... and that was when the 10 minute countdown clock started!  (Now I know what I look like at a Metallica concert!)

I only got to see the first 3 songs and it was everything I expected, other than the crowd who were louder than anything (in a very high-pitched kinda way :) )  Bit of dry ice fog effect, bit of dancing and then BOOOOOOM! The roof disappears as Justin emerges through the fog.

It was great fun to photograph, although the 10ft stage and 2ft deep pit meant I was shooting vertical at times, as the lights were gorgeous and made for some truly nice shots.  It was bizarre to realise how much people do love him and there's lil' ol' me, getting looked at, waved at and danced at, all a few feet away from me.  I imagine a lot of people would have given up anything for that experience.  I do feel very fortunate and humbled sometimes.

I also reckon I got some nice shots considering my favourite lens broke in half about 2 minutes before the show and I had to go with the back-up. Still, turned out alright though I reckon :)

Some people really hate Justin Bieber.  At least 50% of the comments on our Facebook page have been requesting we do very, very bad things to him. If you don't like him, just ignore him and listen to different music. He's a 17 year old with almost everything people dream of having, I'm sure there's no jealousy... yeah right!

Some people are comparing Justin Bieber to The Beatles with Bieber Fever being the new Beatle Mania.  Not being around in the 60s I can't really comment but I can say this: the passion and hysteria from the crowd was like nothing I have ever seen.  Justin said barely a few words to the audience and they were in tears.  I don't know how long Bieber Fever will last for, I personally don't think he'll still be headlining stadiums like Sir Paul McCartney does in 50 years time.  But for the time being he is the biggest star on the planet and he has power and influence that is hard to fathom for us mere mortals.  Forget politicians, football players, company leaders and in some cases even parents.  Justin Bieber is in charge, you better listen up...

As always, you can get ALL our photos at ConcertsCaptured.co.uk, you can follow us on Twitter @concertscaught and find us at Facebook.com/ConcertsCaptured

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Go for it... :)