Sunday 27 March 2011

Back to the front...


Every now and again I like to get back to basics and go shoot smaller bands in smaller venues.  It's always nice remembering where I started when it comes to photography and I feel that it's important to always remember where it all started.

So, I popped into The Crown in Birmingham on Thursday to see a friend's band.  Got a pleasant surprise from the support band Vault of Eagles with their mix of grungey dirty groovy rock.  Once they had actually sorted out the sound so that we could hear the singer I realised that I actually quite liked them with some of their slow songs really REALLY hitting the spot.  Check 'em out here at their Facebook page.  I just wish I could afford all the guitars the singer had!

Stranger In Death were up next with their mix of guitar heavy metal.  With a stage so small that the lead guitarist had to stand on the floor (gave him more room to pose though :) ) the band were limited in their visual performance but still played a set of Metallica/Crue inspired metal.  They put on quite a good show for only their 2nd ever show and they're playing LOADS of gigs in the next few months... check their Facebook page for more.


As for the photography side of things, it was refreshing to be able to walk around and shoot what I liked, where I liked and when I liked.  I actually found myself a little confused at times because it's been sooooo long since I was able to do this.  I also realised that I need more practice using flash when shooting live music, looks like I'll just have to go and see more bands to sort that skill out.  Got a few funny looks from people too, almost like they didn't know who I was... the audacity of some!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Go for it... :)