Wednesday 13 April 2011

Free parking after 6pm

Over two years ago (15th February 2009 to be exact) I was just starting ConcertsCaptured and had agreed to shoot two bands at The Flapper in Birmingham.  I drove into town to park up but didn't have any money for parking.  I also didn't know you could park for free after 6pm.  So, I drove home and apologised to the bands and wondered if this false start, stupidity and humiliation would get to me and put me off.  Turns out it didn't...

Two years of photographing in Birmingham and I had NEVER shot at The Flapper so I figured it was about time I sorted that out.  How can you validate yourself as a music photographer in Birmingham without shooting at The Flapper!?

So, on Tuesday 12th April I popped down to shoot Taking Hayley, Mimi Soya and Kids Can't Fly.  Soooooo much fun shooting in a sweaty, dirty, badly lit, crowded venue, honest! Met a few other photographers there including Andrea May (who runs AMCH Photography) who was a pleasure to chat with.  Also got chance to catch up with the boys from Taking Hayley who were having way too much fun for a support band, anyone would think they enjoy watching live music as much as they enjoy performing it... :)


Was chatting to Levi Keeling from Taking Hayley (who can you find more info about here at their official Facebook page) who, when talking about how some bands make my life easy by putting on a show and enjoying their music, said "that's why it's called a performance".  'Nuff said.

Mimi Soya were the main support band on this UK tour.  The comparisons to Paramore are everywhere but forget that, Mimi Soya's lead singer has a much better voice and her and the rest of the band are much more fun to photograph.  Check them out at their official Facebook page.

Kids Can't Fly are building up quite a following and this UK headline tour is certainly helping.  The Flapper was packed out by the time they came on and they even had a little skank-filled moshpit going!  They threw some pretty cool shapes on stage too and sweated their buttocks off and will no doubt continue doing the same in bigger venues soon, check out their official Facebook page for more.

Admittedly, I need more practice shooting bands in smaller venues with a flash-gun, just the excuse I need to go and see these bands again and pop down to The Flapper again soon :)

As always, higher quality photos and full sets are available at ConcertsCaptured.co.uk and you can tag, share, like and discuss more on our Facebook and Twitter pages.

This last photo is my favourite from the night and a proper ConcertsCaptured classic :)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Go for it... :)