Friday 15 April 2011

3rd Time Lucky

I've never shot a band more than once but this week I ended up shooting Taking Hayley for the 2nd and 3rd time.  I chose to do this for a couple of reasons:

1) I'd never shot at The Flapper or the Temple room at the HMV Institute
2) The Taking Hayley guys are good chaps, play good music, put on a good show and could be destined for big things
3) I wanted the challenge of getting original shots even though I had photographed them before (I'll let you be the judge of if I accomplished this, all 3 sets are up on ConcertsCaptured.co.uk)


Biiiig crowd at the HMV Institute for, I think, 7 bands with Taking Hayley (Taking Hayley on Facebook) headlining.  They've got quite a following of youngsters but this was the first gig I had seen them play with a more mature audience taking up residence at the sides and at the back.

I won't review the music (heck, I'm a photographer, what do I know ;) ) so I'll just talk about shooting the show.  The lighting was terrible.  Yucky LEDs (I think) and the usual bad spotlights.  It was nice to be faced with this challenge and having to work my way through the crowd to get the shots I wanted though.  There was a photo pit but I don't think I would have fitted in it and would have just ended up with lots of up-crotch nostril shots so I decided to be that annoying guy who stands in front of you at the show (apologies to anyone if you were the one behind me at any point!!).

Had a drink spilled on me at one point, thankfully it was water (not cider like at The Streets) so that was quite refreshing.  Besides, water is no match for my camera :) Tried to get a few wider shots and some more atmospheric shots (that's my way of saying "the lighting was bad so I couldn't get good ones") and there's a few in the gallery on ConcertsCaptured.co.uk that look kinda cool.

It's also weird when the day after the gig loads of people say "ahhhh, I saw you last night" no Facebook.  People need to say hello more, I'm quite frugal with free drinks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Go for it... :)